Friday, May 27, 2011

Finishing up, sort of

School is beginning to get into the finishing up stages for the year and we are in Club as well, but this in no way means we are slowing down.  We only have two weeks left of Club for the semester. Next weeks clubs are big end of the year ones, where we are having a big bbq for the high schoolers and inviting all families to attend, and then a "moving up" club for middle schoolers, as the 8th graders are heading off to high school. 

As the weather has turned nice, we have started doing a lot of games outside.  The weather has been amazing here for much of the spring.  I love after a cold winter the beauty of spring that comes, and in my opinion it can only be truly appreciated after a cold winter. 

One exciting development here is the middle school has asked us to run games at the end of the year pep rally.  Aretta will be gone on that day, so it is my show to run.  I must admit that I am a little nervous about this. I have led a lot of games in a lot of settings, but never for over 500 students.  At first when I was asked, my mind went straight to the "I am not ready to do something like that, that is too big a step for me. I have never done something like that and I do not know if I can handle it." Then, not so coincidentally, I did a club talk on Gideon for the middle schoolers, and as I was teaching them it was not by our might or ability, and not about how "good" we are or how capable we are, but in how great God is that we can do anything with his help, I was definitely humbled and was reminded I need to be practicing what I am teaching.  So this is another example of where I need to rely on God.  It is a great opportunity to be able to do this.  We have a really good relationship with our schools, but that is not always the case.  So to be able to help out and serve the school really helps put Club Beyond in a good light for the teachers and administrators. It is also a chance to get seen by lots of students, which is always a plus. 

We are not into PCS season here.  In the next next month, we will lose well over a third of our students from Club.  This is something I am used to growing up a military brat, but to be honest it never really gets that much easier. You learn how to deal with it, but good byes are always difficult, and we are saying good bye to some amazing students.  I will really miss them. But then at the same time in the next couple months we will get hundreds more new students here on post and have an opportunity to build new relationships.  So that is exciting. 

Ok, I am off to Poland with some high school students to go and see Auschwitz.  We are doing a study on a Priest who was held at the concentration camp.  I am definitely looking forward to this.  I'll make sure to let you know how it goes.  God bless.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment