Friday, January 21, 2011

Post #2 - Scotland

My second overdue post: The weekend after Winter Blitz, I went to England and Scotland.  As staff we had 2 days of comp time, days we didn't get off from having the trip that we normally would have, and a few of us decided to use them to travel.  I went with Storey from Hohenfels, Germany, Dale from Lakenheath, England, Elizabeth from Menwith Hill, England and laura from Vicenza, Italy. They are all Club Beyond staff at these different communities.  I flew into Stanstead in England and then we drove up to menwith Hill and we all met up and drove to Scotland.  The trip was from Wednesday night to Sunday night. I spent around 28 hours in the car traveling to these different places and some hours at the airport and flying, but it was all time well worth it.

We stayed in Edinburgh, one of the biggest cities in Scotland.  We did some sight seeing, and a lot of time relaxing and enjoying not working after a very busy while of planning for and then running Winter Blitz.  In my travels I have decided that when traveling, it is, in my opinion, much better to relax and have fun seeing the things you really want to see instead of racing around madly trying to see everything. If you do that, you don't enjoy the things you want to see and you wear yourself out trying to see everything.  Thankfully, all those on this trip have the same viewpoint as I do. It was a great weekend.  Enjoyed seeing the things we saw, and definitely enjoyed the company.  I love working with the high school and middle school students with all my heart, but every no and then it is nice to get away for a few days and just relax. 

We are now back in the swing of things with club.  We have also picked up a couple more volunteers to help lead.  This is very needed, and we still need more.  Both clubs continue to grow steadily. We are getting over 50 high schoolers for each club, and right around 40 middle schoolers.  My goal, just for fun, is to get 100 high scoolers at a club this coming semester. If everyone who has come to club at some point comes the same week, we would have more than 100 students.  We'll see what we can do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment