Wednesday, December 1, 2010

More snow and locked doors

So today did not start off real great for me. First, I have a few more items to add to the not working for me list, which are christmas lights and my windshield wiper. Now the windshield wiper isn't exactly technology, but 2 days ago when I was brushing the snow off my windshield I bumped the wiper on the drivers side and it cracked in half. Bummer. I went and got a new one today, just in time, because it is snowing again. It has probably snowed a couple inches in the last 2 hours. So not a blizzard or anything, but it is steadily coming down.

Well, back to this morning. One thing that I find annoying about German houses (but other people have said they like them) is the front doors do not have a door handle per se. There is a knob thing, but to open them you always have to use the key. I have just been waiting to lock myself out of the house, and today was the day I finally did it. As soon as I shut the door I realized my keys were inside. Now, I have two spare keys, but they are in the hands of one of my chaplains, who is storing stuff at my house and was in meetings when I tried to call him, and I thought the other was being held by Aretta, who is in the US right now (I have since remembered she gave it back to me and I wisely have it on the counter in my house. dumb, I know.) So that meant I was stuck. My car keys are obviously attached the the key chain with my house keys, so I couldn't go anywhere. And as i mentioned before it has been snowing a decent amount here, and while it's not terribly cold, it is probably in the high 20's, which is cold enough to be annoying when you are locked out. I tried breaking into my house briefly, but couldn't really see a way. So I tried to get ahold of the chaplain again, but to no avail. Feeling somewhat frustrated but laughing at myself for getting stuck in a situation i saw coming yet did nothing to prevent, I tried my hand at breaking in again. I went down to the door that leads into my basement (it is on the side of the house, down a flight of stairs) and being somewhat perturbed, I just rammed it with my shoulder. To be honest, I had very little hope of this working, but to my pleasure and surprise, on the second thud the door flew open.

Now, obviously I was pleased to be able to get my keys (after i broke into the locked door from my basement to the main floor, but that just took a little jiggling of the handle to unlock), but this leads to a serious question about my house security. the basement door is deadbolted, but obviously not very well. Anybody could break in. Ok, maybe not anybody, but those able to generate a certain amount of force could do so. I need to solve this safety issue. Hmmm.

On a campletely unrelated nore I just hit my shin on the desk, surprisingly hard for being seated. So on that note of pain, I say good bye for today.

1 comment: